Today I was trying to figure out my new training program for my fall races, and thought about backing it up to a week early to give myself some wiggle room in case I get sick, or we go on a vacation or something. So I started thinking…ah, vacation! Working out on vacations can be tricky but also some of your best workouts, so I thought I would share a few tips I use when working out on vacation!
- Don’t Stress out about it. You are on vacation! If you don’t workout as hard or as much, it’s ok!
Relaxing in Cozumel on Paradise Beach
- Take advantage of your new surroundings. One of the reasons I love working out on vacation is it’s somewhere new to run, new scenery, etc.
running on Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay
- If you have access to a pool, swim or tread water while your family catches some rays
- Walk! Go for a hike or a walk and explore your resort, a new town, the beach, etc.
- Speaking of the beach…running in the sand is a GREAT workout. I have bad ankles so mine are always sore after, so i take it slow and don’t do too much too soon.
- Check out the hotel gym. Sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised at the nice equipment or a great view out the windows.
Fitness center for the Grand Floridian and Polynesian resorts in WDW
- If you are running in a new climate, especially a hot one, be careful of the heat and drink plenty of fluids.
- Try something new! If you can rent a canoe, or go wakeboarding, try it out! Go try a game of tennis or a round of golf. Vacation is the best place to try new things because if you mess up and get embarassed only your family will know :o)
Playing beach volleyball with some strangers in Destin, Florida
- Workout early before your day starts so then you have extra energy and don’t have the thought of exercise weighing on you all day and running your vacation!
Getting an early start on vacation, as the sun comes up
QOTD: What is your favorite vacation workout?