Happy weekend y’all!!! I am excited hubby will be home for 3 days instead of two this weekend, woo hoo! Any big plans for the 4th? I don’t have any right now, trying to figure something out though! Anyway, as you (should) know, I live in the south, love the south, and don’t know if I could ever move from the south (ok, unless I won the lottery and moved to the beach in California.)
I thought I would share with you today a true southern recipe that is easy and I absolutely love. It is a very mild chicken and sausage jambalaya. Obviously, you can omit the sausage if you want and you can add spices/seasonings, but I don’t know if some of you yankees can handle our southern spice. I kid. sort of. ANYWAY, I made this on Wednesday and love it because we are on day 3 and still eating it = no cooking for Heather = happy wife. Can I get an amen?!? Ok, so check it out:
– 2 cups Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice, cooked by directions
– 1 can beef broth (I use low sodium)
– 1 can onion soup (I usually use french onion )
– 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
– 1 stick butter (I use smart balance) melted
– 1 lb. smoked sausage
– 2 lbs. chicken baked and shredded (you can use a rotisserie chicken if you don’t want to cook your chicken) which is what I do.
– 1 10oz Mckenzies seasoning blend(in frozen section) cook according to directions on package (or picsweet seasoning also can be used)
Mix cooked rice, cooked seasoning, and the rest of the ingredients in large bowl
Pour in a big pan (I use 13 x 9 glass dish, sprayed with pam) and cook COVERED (tin foil) for 1-1/2 hrs. at 350 degrees.
I would check it after about one hour and 15 minutes after you take it out. a lot of the juice will absorb while it cools. If after 1 hour and 15 minutes it is looking dry take it out, but if still looks juicy leave it in for the rest of time. ENJOY!
It’s so good, and makes PLENTY of food! This is great for picnics, BBQ’s, etc. Perfect summer meal if you ask me!
Yesterday I did some skirt selling at a few stores, and this was the outfit I wore. The gold run love top was featured in this month’s (August) issue of Runner’s World!
Also, I got to visit with the Nola monster! She is getting so big.
I love you and I don’t even know you!
QOTD: What is your favorite summery/picnic recipe?